Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Before I became fat again ..

     Right now, I haven’t been this large since the birth of my youngest son almost twenty-four years ago.  I was twenty-nine then and with the exception of the snickers of new co-workers, I didn’t really care about my weight.  I was trying to prove myself on a new job. 
     However, my feelings were hurt when I heard the rude comments of how fat I was. 
     That is when I decided to take action.
     After studying health magazines such as Prevention, Shape, and Women’s Health, I’d learned to incorporate better eating habits along with exercise.  (Walking, weight lifting, yoga, and aerobics.) I’d lost 40 pound in nine months. 
     A few years later, I joined a Tae Kwon Do studio and trained in martial arts.  This brought more into my fitness routine as well as a positive sense of self.
     Flash to today.  Although I have resumed my MA training after a four-year hiatus, I still need to up my ante in my fitness routine.   Family deaths in three years halted my interest in myself care as I became sad and depressed with my losses.  With the meds I now take, I have ballooned to over 190 pounds.  I have a family history of diabetes, depression, mental illness, and hypertension. 
     Do I want to go out like that?  Absolutely not.
     It’s time to get back to the basics.  It was December 1990 when I began my regime.  How fitting it is to begin on again in the same month.

No comments:

Post a Comment